Depression affects more people than what is commonly known. Despite of that, the case is still prevalent and some people do not even know that they are suffering from it. Early diagnosis is the key to fighting depression and with the right counselling Sydney professional to help out a depressed patient, the sooner they will be able to reverse the situation.
If you know someone who might be suffering from depression, it is important to educate yourself about the symptoms. If you can identify the symptoms, you can bring them to a Sydney counselling professional for proper treatment before it is too late.
Here are some lesser known facts about depression:
• Distorted thinking is a common symptom of depression. The mind is the most powerful part of the human body. But with a depressed individual, they tend to lose control over how their mind works causing their thoughts to become distorted. When you start noticing a family member or loved one showing signs of distorted thought, it is important to seek help immediately through counselling in Sydney.
• Depression often stems from anxiety (about 65% of the time, according to research). However, self-diagnosis is not helpful either. In some cases, a case of anxiety can be blown up to depression when it has not hit that stage yet. You should always consult a professional before pursuing any kind of treatment.
• If you notice a person is becoming highly irritable, you should pay close attention to other signs of depression. Do not simply presume that they have depression right away. Every individual has a different coping mechanism and level so you need to observe their behavior first.
• Depression and pain often come together. You have to decide whether pain is an effect of depression or vice versa. Once you are able to identify that, it will become easier to address the problem. This is something that expert counselors will be able to pinpoint during counselling Sydney session.
• Identify the source of depression: emotional (also referred to as situational) or bio-chemical. The former, situational depression, is easier to treat because you simply have to identify the situational triggers and find a way to deal with them. Meanwhile, the bio-chemical type of depression is more difficult to treat. This will require an expert to oversee treatment as it combines therapy and medicine.
• Show support (emotionally and physically). The amount of support that a depressed patient gets will have a direct impact to their recovery. Therefore, you should always provide support to your loved one suffering from depression, even while they are ongoing therapy or counseling.
Depression is a serious issue. While the best way to handle it is to prevent it with emotional counseling, sometimes it is often too late until you realize that someone who mean to you is suffering from depression. Do not wait until the case is irreversible; pay close attention to the signs and symptoms listed above. You can inquire at Sydney Emotional Fitness about counselling Sydney sessions for depressed individuals to find a cure once and for all.